Botanic Specialist II – Rose Garden
The City of Portland's Bureau of Parks & Recreation (PP&R) is seeking a Botanic Specialist II – Rose Garden specialty. Under general supervision, this position coordinates, maintains and curates the International Rose Test Garden, one of Portland's premier destinations and home to 10,220 individual roses, representing 607 varieties. This high-profile position will also implement rose-related programs, special events, coordinate with volunteer groups and individuals as well as serve as the City of Portland's representative for this world renowned collection of roses.
This position is responsible to maintain the City of Portland's rose collection at the International Rose Test Garden in Washington Park; it also plans, schedules, oversees and participates in horticultural work needed to maintain roses located at three sites: The International Rose Test Garden in Washington Park, Peninsula Park Rose Garden and Ladd's Addition Rose Garden. Responsibility includes implementing and organizing an IPM program, under the direction of the Integrated Pest Management Coordinator, for the care and health of the rose collection.
The Botanic Specialist II – Rose Garden specialty recruits, trains and manages volunteers working in rose gardens including inspecting work of other staff and volunteers to assure quality. This position organizes and leads garden tours by visiting dignitaries and international visitors; maintains knowledge of Rose Garden history and current collection, including species, color, placement and significance of particular roses to various groups; provides expertise, information and assistance to committees, residents, industry representatives and other public and nonprofit agencies; resolves inquiries and complaints from citizens, organizations and agencies.
This position respond to emergencies calls for incidents in the gardens, as necessary.
The City of Portland, Oregon is a growing and diverse city of 620,000 residents, nearly 20% of whom speak languages other than English at home. Portland Parks & Recreation values a diverse workforce and seeks ways to promote equity and inclusion within the organization and with the public. PP&R encourages applications from candidates with knowledge, ability and experience working with a broad range of individuals and communities with diverse racial, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. Although not required, PP&R encourages candidates that can fluently speak another language to include that information in their resume. Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
The City is offering an optional information meeting for this recruitment please see the Additional Information section below for details.
- Knowledge and experience maintaining rose gardens, applying horticultural and botanical science as it relates to roses, including a broad, in-depth knowledge of roses, rose culture and garden management, equipment and supplies used.
- Knowledge and skill recruiting, motivating, organizing and providing direction to volunteers within applicable rules and policies regarding volunteers.
- Knowledge and experience applying pesticides and chemicals, their properties, interactions, toxicology, chemistry, legalities, environmental and health impacts.
- Knowledge and experience applying methods for properly using, storing and disposing of a wide range of chemicals and hazardous materials related to assigned work.
- Ability and experience presenting specialized rose-related information clearly, logically and persuasively, communicating effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability and experience working collaboratively, developing and maintaining good relationships with PP&R Development team, community partners and industry groups, including participating in public meetings to provide information, promote the generation of ideas to provide financial support and program development.
Applicants must also possess the following:
- A valid state driver's license and acceptable driving record at time of hire.
- An Oregon Pesticide Applicators license within six months of hire.
- Ability to become a Rose Trial Judge within six months of hire.
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their cover letter and resume weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on an equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection. Some positions may require those placed on the eligible list to complete and sign a criminal background statement before being considered for employment.Additional Information
Applicants must submit a cover letter and professional resume online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
Your résumé and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in the cover letter.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your cover letter any transferable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Your résumé and cover letter should be no more than a total of four (4) pages combined.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than 4:30 pm, on the closing date of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, attach a copy of your DD214 / DD215 and / or Veteran's Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for.
Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 4:30 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at time of application.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named below No Later Than the Closing Date of This Announcement.
Tamara Larison, Sr. Human Resources Analyst
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
OPTIONAL INFORMATION SESSION
To assist you in understanding this position and the recruitment process, we will offer an Optional Information Session that will provide you with details about the position and about the application process. You are not required to attend to apply for this job. You are welcome to join us for the optional session below:
World Forestry Center
4033 SW Canyon Road
Portland, Oregon 97221
Thursday, February 2, 2017
Sign up for Job Alerts
Lawn/Landscape-Snow Removal Operations ManagerMission Lawn and LandscapeRonan, MTFeb 20
Horticulture GardenerWynn ResortsLas Vegas, NV, United StatesFeb 17
Horticulture Coordinator Denver ZooDenver ZooDenver, CO, United StatesFeb 17
HorticulturistCincinnati Zoo & Botanical GardenCincinnati, OH, United StatesFeb 16
Skilled GardenerSunleaf GardensBirchrunville, PA, United StatesFeb 16
Latest from the webjobs by
Horticulture ScientistFluence BioengineeringAustin, TX31 Jan
Associate Professor/Professor of Horticulture/Plant ScienceSan Joaquin Delta Community College DistrictStockton, CA 9520713 Feb
Green Spring Gardens Park Manager (Natur...Fairfax County GovernmentGreen Spring, VA11 Feb
R&D Field/Greenhouse WorkerTerra Nova Nurseries, Inc.Canby, OR 9701313 Feb
Gardener - Parks District CrewCity of RaleighRaleigh, NC8 Feb
Plant Recorder / Plant Database ManagementMoore Farms Botanical GardenLake City, SC, United StatesFeb 09
HorticulturistMoore Farms Botanical GardenLake City, SC, United StatesFeb 09
Garden Manager, Full-Time SeasonalJewell GardensSkagway, AK, United StatesFeb 14
Greenhouse Assistant ManagerDelaney’s Landscape CenterPolson, MT, United StatesFeb 14
Zilker Botanical Garden Center CoordinatorZilker Botanical GardenAustin, TX, United StatesFeb 14