Groviv is an organic indoor vertical grower with two facilities located in Vineyard and Provo, Utah. Growing high quality organic herbs, sprouts, microgreens, and cereal grass among other things since 2015. The vertical farms are more than 42,500 square feet of vertical planters and racks in a clean room environment along with research and development labs to support the new and exciting world of indoor vertical growing. Most plants are started from seed, are grown completely in an indoor setting, and harvested under the same roof. The vertical farm uses proprietary software automating irrigation, environmental controls, and nutrient systems. Groviv is a late stage, funded start up. We are looking for quality grow manager who can help propel us into the next stage of our development.
Job Description – Vertical Grow Manager
The Grow Manager oversee the daily operations of the vertical facilities that cultivate plants in a controlled environment for research and commercial use. Works under the Director of Operations and in coordination with the Director of Research and Development. Supervises plant nutrition and protection, pest and disease control in an organic way, harvesting and the maintenance of systems controlling the vertical grow house environment, such as HVAC and irrigation. Recognize and constantly scout for pest and disease issues in the facility and take appropriate corrective measures, have a working understanding of grow system equipment and facilities maintenance, and supervise immediate repairs. To be successful the manager will be highly organized, able to communicate in written and verbal form, assign tasks to the staff, and work respectfully in a team. Supervises and trains staff, control inventory of seeds and plants, create progress reports and ensure compliance with environmental and safety regulations. The Grow Manager may also create budgets, meet with research personnel and interact with customers.
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Grow Managers must be experts in horticulture, plant cultivation, pest and disease control and grow system technology.
- They must have strong communication, training, management and supervisory skills, as well as knowledge of safety and environmental regulations.
- The manager, working in a commercial facility, needs strong customer service, budgeting and inventory management skills.
- The manger must be able to listen and follow directions precisely.
- Diagnose disease and pest problems and initiate appropriate solutions
- Assist with development of new and alternative crops and crop production strategies with coordination with research and development
- Research techniques when needed
- Produce a high quality crop on time
- Facilities maintenance
- Indoor commercial harvesting machinery and mechanized greenhouse irrigation system maintenance
- Health and safety policies and regulations
- Indoor commercial growing facility/greenhouse plant management strategies, issues and remedies
- Assign duties and tasks to the staff and supervise them
- Study various greenhouse projects in hand and make correct choices regarding the seeds and quantity of plants to be grown by managing the budget as well
- Look for safety policies and regulations and explain them to the staff under them
- Constantly visit the work areas to understand the seed conditions, inspect plants and manage the work in the vertical farm area
- Must be able to communicate respectfully and effectively under stressful situations
- Accomplish tasks individually and as part of team
- Health and safety policies and regulations
- Indoor and greenhouse facilities maintenance
- Indoor growing facility/greenhouse plant management strategies, issues and remedies
- Common greenhouse pest problems and solutions
- Computer and recordkeeping skills are essential.
- Seed germination, plant growth and fertility
All commercial growing staff including assistant managers, growing technicians, quality control personal, facility technicians, and harvesting technicians.
- Will work in a clean room setting.
- Must be able to work in warm, humid conditions.
- This job will also operate in a professional office environment.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This position requires typical physical demands for farm labor, such as walking, standing, reaching, stooping, squatting, lifting up to 50 lbs and working indoors and outdoors in cold, hot or wet conditions on uneven surfaces.
- Physical fitness is important for workers in a vertical grow facility; the job requires bending, stretching and lifting.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, hands or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Limited travel is expected for this position.
- Demonstrated knowledge of indoor plant growing and harvesting techniques is required.
- Minimum Horticultural or Plant Science degree and demonstrated experience required.
- 3-5 years of proven work related experience
- 1-2 years of managerial experience
- Verbally communicate in Spanish preferred
- Verbal and written language English required
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Lawn/Landscape-Snow Removal Operations ManagerMission Lawn and LandscapeRonan, MTFeb 20
Horticulture GardenerWynn ResortsLas Vegas, NV, United StatesFeb 17
Horticulture Coordinator Denver ZooDenver ZooDenver, CO, United StatesFeb 17
HorticulturistCincinnati Zoo & Botanical GardenCincinnati, OH, United StatesFeb 16
Skilled GardenerSunleaf GardensBirchrunville, PA, United StatesFeb 16
Latest from the webjobs by
Horticulture ScientistFluence BioengineeringAustin, TX31 Jan
Associate Professor/Professor of Horticulture/Plant ScienceSan Joaquin Delta Community College DistrictStockton, CA 9520713 Feb
Green Spring Gardens Park Manager (Natur...Fairfax County GovernmentGreen Spring, VA11 Feb
R&D Field/Greenhouse WorkerTerra Nova Nurseries, Inc.Canby, OR 9701313 Feb
Gardener - Parks District CrewCity of RaleighRaleigh, NC8 Feb
Natural Land ManagerWildlandsPortland, OR, United StatesJan 25
Greenhouse Assistant ManagerDelaney’s Landscape CenterPolson, MT, United StatesFeb 14
Garden Manager, Full-Time SeasonalJewell GardensSkagway, AK, United StatesFeb 14
Plant Recorder / Plant Database ManagementMoore Farms Botanical GardenLake City, SC, United StatesFeb 09
HorticulturistGolden Ocala Golf & Equestrian ClubOcala, FL, United StatesFeb 03