Denver Zoo seeks a Horticulture Coordinator to provide routine maintenance of the Zoo's plant collection and exhibit botanics to include monitoring, pruning, fertilizing, pest control, watering, collaborative design, and record keeping necessary to optimize the health and vigor of the living landscape.
- Coordinate, monitor and implement the maintenance programs of specified section of the zoo's landscape and inclusive exhibits through soil preparation, planting, watering, fertilization.
- Designs, coordinates, and implements all annual plant displays in responsible area with approval from Director. Designs, coordinates, and implements perennial plant displays with approval from Director and Facilities Group.
- Participates in Horticulture and Grounds' project assistance to the Facilities Group as directed.
- Manages and works closely with the Horticulture Specialist, Horticulture Technician, and seasonal Horticulture Technicians.
- Works closely with the Horticultural Support Manager and Production Coordinator on the documentation of the Zoo's botanic collection database.
- Works with Horticultural Support manager, Production Coordinator and Director to manage specialty collections.
- Participates with the Horticulture department's role in Zoo's browse program; working with Veterinary Medicine and Animal department representatives.
- Executes an Integrated Pest Management Program for all responsible areas and coordinates needed assistance with the Horticultural Support Manager.
- Monitors irrigation systems in specified area(s), performs minor repairs, and coordinates with the Horticultural Support Manger and the Irrigation team of repairs needed beyond scope of skill level.
- Collaborates with the arboriculture team and the Horticultural Support Manager to correctly maintain the tree and shrub collection(s) within area of responsibility.
- Cooperate with the Volunteer Programs staff to maintain a smooth and efficiently run volunteer program for the department. Identify volunteer needs, recruit, train and provide instruction for assignments.
- Coordinates work in or around animal enclosures with Keeper Staff for entire area of responsibility and distributes tasks for maintenance of the exhibit to appropriate supervised staff.
- Participates in snow removal operations and is available to work certain weekends and holidays as an on-call status for snow removal
- Adheres to and promotes Denver Zoo's mission, core values, and strategic initiatives.
- Demonstrates a commitment to Denver Zoo's Safety & Sustainability Policies by adhering to all environmental, safety, & health regulations, procedures, and goals.
- Value and consistently apply Denver Zoo's ROADMAP (Reaching Our Audiences by Developing Mission Aligned Programs) process and resources in engaging and educating guests at Denver Zoo.
- Performs various tasks as assigned.
- B.S. horticulture, landscape design, forestry, environmental science, or related fields.
- 3 years professional experience in a related field.
- A Minimum of 5 years work experience in horticulture will be considered in lieu of not possessing a B.S. degree.
- Maintain a Colorado Department of Agriculture Certified Operator License. If not yet certified, obtain within 6 months of start date.
- Strong leadership and strategic planning skills, and experience supervising staff.
- Experience and high level of comfort with Microsoft Office and Outlook.
- Proficiency in both written and oral communication skills; ability to produce and maintain digital records, plans and simple landscape drawings. Ability to read, interpret, and apply organizational policy and procedures and other written guidelines to work functions, and to work independently.
- Safe Heavy Equipment Operation basics needed.
- Clear driving record. (If selected must be able to pass a MVR Motor Vehicle Records review).
- Ability to pass drug and alcohol screening.
- Ability to pass reference and background check.
- Ability to pass a physical examination based on the duties of the position
- Provide negative TB test result within 2 weeks of start date if hired.
Licensure and Certification:
Possession of a valid Colorado Class "R" Driver's License within three months of hiring.
The physical demands for this position involves light lifting under 25lbs and also requires carrying, pushing, pulling, and occasional heavy lifting up to 60 lbs. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk and listen. The employee frequently is required to use hands to maneuver handle or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance; also, reach, stoop, kneel or smell. Specific vision abilities required include close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception vision and ability to adjust focus. Minimal crouching, crawling, climbing, and non-confined sitting are also required. The position requires both mental and visual concentration.
This position requires a substantial amount of contact with staff, volunteers, and other departments. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions and may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and chemicals. The employee may be exposed to chemicals and zoonosis. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a regular full-time position with excellent benefits, including complete medical/dental/vision coverage, 403(b) retirement plan, and a generous vacation package.
Completed applications must be submitted by February 27, 2017
Denver Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Sign up for Job Alerts
Lawn/Landscape-Snow Removal Operations ManagerMission Lawn and LandscapeRonan, MTFeb 20
Horticulture GardenerWynn ResortsLas Vegas, NV, United StatesFeb 17
Horticulture Coordinator Denver ZooDenver ZooDenver, CO, United StatesFeb 17
HorticulturistCincinnati Zoo & Botanical GardenCincinnati, OH, United StatesFeb 16
Skilled GardenerSunleaf GardensBirchrunville, PA, United StatesFeb 16
Latest from the webjobs by
Horticulture ScientistFluence BioengineeringAustin, TX31 Jan
Associate Professor/Professor of Horticulture/Plant ScienceSan Joaquin Delta Community College DistrictStockton, CA 9520713 Feb
Green Spring Gardens Park Manager (Natur...Fairfax County GovernmentGreen Spring, VA11 Feb
R&D Field/Greenhouse WorkerTerra Nova Nurseries, Inc.Canby, OR 9701313 Feb
Gardener - Parks District CrewCity of RaleighRaleigh, NC8 Feb
Plant Recorder / Plant Database ManagementMoore Farms Botanical GardenLake City, SC, United StatesFeb 09
HorticulturistMoore Farms Botanical GardenLake City, SC, United StatesFeb 09
Vertical Grow ManagerGROVIV Organic Indoor Vertical GrowerProvo, UT, United StatesFeb 01
Greenhouse Assistant ManagerDelaney’s Landscape CenterPolson, MT, United StatesFeb 14
LANDSCAPE EXPEDITOR / SUPERVISORBreezy Hill NurserySalem, WI, United StatesFeb 08