Garden Manager, Full-Time Seasonal
Embark on an amazing horticultural adventure in Skagway, Alaska! Join us at Jewell Gardens, an incredible 4 acre organic show and vegetable garden amidst the peaks and rivers of this great northern environment. Jewell Gardens caters to the bustling summer cruise industry. We offer tours through our incredible gardens, which includes 2 glassblowing hotshops, a restaurant (serving our own veggies!), glass gallery and gift shop.
We are looking for an experienced, motivated, well organized organic gardener with landscaping experience who can help manage a team of up to 4 seasonal gardeners. Journey with us from germination room to greenhouse to garden. This is truly an amazing opportunity!
The Garden Manager is a full-time salaried seasonal position starting ASAP through mid November.
Pay Rate: Depending on Experience
Duties & Responsibilities
• Start up greenhouse operation
• Keep detailed records and complete administrative duties (garden planning, organic certification renewal, WSDA inspection)
• Ordering of seeds, plants and fertilizers
• Irrigation, nutrient and compost management
• Transplant seedlings to greenhouse and outdoors
• Manage seasonal crew (3-4 full time employees) on three acres of cultivated grounds
• Assist with current and new landscape projects, lawncare, garden beds, etc.
• Care for 14 chickens and two ducks
• Planting, weeding, harvesting throughout the season
• Garden shutdown
Education and Experience
• Experienced gardener/landscaper with intermediate to advanced plant knowledge of vegetables, annuals, perennials, herbs, berry bushes, trees and shrubs
• Working knowledge of organic gardening methods
• Know how to start and use garden equipment: rototiller, lawnmower and weed-eater
• Good management, organizational, and communication skills necessary
• Be able to plan, prioritize, and orchestrate projects dependent on garden needs, budget, weather, etc.
• Ability to type and use Microsoft Excel and Word Programs
• Have a valid driver’s license and ability to drive a stick-shift vehicle
• Be physically able to lift up to 50 lbs., move pots around, be on knees for much of a day, haul wheelbarrows full of compost and in general good physical health.
• Be self-motivated and also be able to motivate crew members
• Artistic inclinations for landscape design would be an advantage
Sign up for Job Alerts
Lawn/Landscape-Snow Removal Operations ManagerMission Lawn and LandscapeRonan, MTFeb 20
Horticulture GardenerWynn ResortsLas Vegas, NV, United StatesFeb 17
Horticulture Coordinator Denver ZooDenver ZooDenver, CO, United StatesFeb 17
HorticulturistCincinnati Zoo & Botanical GardenCincinnati, OH, United StatesFeb 16
Skilled GardenerSunleaf GardensBirchrunville, PA, United StatesFeb 16
Latest from the webjobs by
Horticulture ScientistFluence BioengineeringAustin, TX31 Jan
Associate Professor/Professor of Horticulture/Plant ScienceSan Joaquin Delta Community College DistrictStockton, CA 9520713 Feb
Green Spring Gardens Park Manager (Natur...Fairfax County GovernmentGreen Spring, VA11 Feb
R&D Field/Greenhouse WorkerTerra Nova Nurseries, Inc.Canby, OR 9701313 Feb
Gardener - Parks District CrewCity of RaleighRaleigh, NC8 Feb
HorticulturistMoore Farms Botanical GardenLake City, SC, United StatesFeb 09
Plant Recorder / Plant Database ManagementMoore Farms Botanical GardenLake City, SC, United StatesFeb 09
Vertical Grow ManagerGROVIV Organic Indoor Vertical GrowerProvo, UT, United StatesFeb 01
Natural Land ManagerWildlandsPortland, OR, United StatesJan 25
Greenhouse Assistant ManagerDelaney’s Landscape CenterPolson, MT, United StatesFeb 14