Plant Recorder / Plant Database Management
Job Description, Plant Recorder
To manage all aspects of the plant records, including the plant database, mapping and GIS. Responsibilities:
- Maintain accurate plant records in the Filemaker Pro database by entering new accessions, de- accessions, notes, images, sources and other data updates.
- Create all necessary labels for plants in the collection. Assists with installation of labels.
- Keep current the database layout and relationships. Implement changes as needed.
- Research and verify plant names.
- Perform plant inventories.
- Update mapping by surveying new plants, beds and infrastructure with GPS equipment.
- Maintain and update GIS.
- Stay current on all new technology and software relating to plant records management.
- Work with contractors, consultants and temporary employees, and aid in supervision and training of interns.
- With managerial approval, source, procure and purchase office supplies, hardware, software, and other materials and equipment.
- Serve as the organizational resource for providing information on the living collections by providing training, instruction and updates.
- Other duties as assigned. Reports to: Horticulture Manager Requirements:
Associateʼs or Bachelorʼs degree in Computer Science, Library Science, Horticulture, Geography or
Strong organizational skills and ability to keep accurate and detailed records.
Excellent computer skills with prior experience with plant record databases and/or GIS preferred. Must possess a valid South Carolina Driver’s license.
Passion for horticulture, botanical gardens and gardening is desired.
Demonstrated ability to develop, manage and coordinate multiple activities and projects. Must be available for occasional overnight travel.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Ability to operate standard office equipment and lift 30 lbs.
About the garden:
Moore Farms Botanical Garden is a nonprofit organization set on over 500 acres near Lake City, South Carolina. The garden is cultivated on 60 acres and is a dynamic mix of formal, naturalistic, and agrarian landscapes. Garden areas include a formal garden, vegetable garden, green roof, pond gardens, formal shrub borders, and a greenhouse and nursery. Other land use includes agriculture, forestry and wildlife habitat. We are currently in a period of growth in both our horticultural displays and programming. This is a very exciting time to be part of the MFBG team. Please visit our website at moorefarmsbg.org to learn more..
Sign up for Job Alerts
Lawn/Landscape-Snow Removal Operations ManagerMission Lawn and LandscapeRonan, MTFeb 20
Horticulture GardenerWynn ResortsLas Vegas, NV, United StatesFeb 17
Horticulture Coordinator Denver ZooDenver ZooDenver, CO, United StatesFeb 17
HorticulturistCincinnati Zoo & Botanical GardenCincinnati, OH, United StatesFeb 16
Skilled GardenerSunleaf GardensBirchrunville, PA, United StatesFeb 16
Latest from the webjobs by
Horticulture ScientistFluence BioengineeringAustin, TX31 Jan
Associate Professor/Professor of Horticulture/Plant ScienceSan Joaquin Delta Community College DistrictStockton, CA 9520713 Feb
Green Spring Gardens Park Manager (Natur...Fairfax County GovernmentGreen Spring, VA11 Feb
R&D Field/Greenhouse WorkerTerra Nova Nurseries, Inc.Canby, OR 9701313 Feb
Gardener - Parks District CrewCity of RaleighRaleigh, NC8 Feb
Vertical Grow ManagerGROVIV Organic Indoor Vertical GrowerProvo, UT, United StatesFeb 01
Natural Land ManagerWildlandsPortland, OR, United StatesJan 25
Greenhouse Assistant ManagerDelaney’s Landscape CenterPolson, MT, United StatesFeb 14
Garden Manager, Full-Time SeasonalJewell GardensSkagway, AK, United StatesFeb 14
HorticulturistMoore Farms Botanical GardenLake City, SC, United StatesFeb 09